1.07.2010

Thankfulness.

I can't sleep right now. We had a bit of a health scare with my grandfather earlier tonight. He's fresh off bypass surgery and takes daily medication for seizures...needless to say, he's had a trying year, and those things considered tonight's little scare was a big one emotionally. Having lost my maternal grandfather last year, I can't stand the thought of losing another. Hence the sleeplessness. He is, it should be noted, doing much better and in great care.

It got me thinking about my childhood and my life now and how unbelievably grateful I am to have the family and friends that I have. Earlier today I met two of my friends for lunch and it was so nice to be reminded that no matter where life takes us and no matter how far apart we might be, true friends will always be there. It was like the three of us had never been apart. Those two are my friends forever. I love them dearly.

Later in the evening when we got the call about my grandpa, my dad quickly rushed over there (just a few houses down) along with several of his brothers and sister who live in the area. The ones that live too far away definitely made several phone calls. It reminded me that my family is always there for each other. I feel so fortunate to know that I can count on them to be there for me and for one another. God has truly blessed me.

I knew most of my great-grandparents growing up and I hope my children will one day know most of theirs. Families (and friends who have become family) are important. As I get older and considering graduate schools out of state (and country), there is this nagging feeling of not wanting to move away from my family. Every once in a while something happens that makes me realize that no matter how far away we move from one another, we're still family and we're still there for each other. Love knows no boundaries.

No comments:

Post a Comment